Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Baked Peas Mrs Wilson


Mrs Wilson lived down the road from my childhood home. I believe she was from Grand Manan which is probably where this recipe originated. A very old fashioned dinner, minimal ingrediants, minimal work. Consider it a cross between baked beans and pea soup. However marrowfat peas, a large dried variety were difficult to find in Florida. I did manage to buy some at a local pub that sells some British grocery items. I think they might still be very available in Canada

1 lb marrowfat peas
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 lb cooked ham cut into chunks
1 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls prepared yellow mustard

cover peas with water, add soda and soak over night
place in crock covering with water (I used ham stock for extra flavour)
Because I used ham stock I omitted the sugar but used slightly more mustard, tsp summer savoury, worcestershire and lots of pepper

Bake at 300 for 6-7 hours After 3 hrs in oven check to make sure there is still water in crock. Add small amounts if necessary. I checked every 30 mins and added about 1/4 cup each time

No comments:

Post a Comment